May 10, 2017 | By Liz Ataman
To someone who has never made wine, making craft wine at home may seem like a task to leave to the professionals. But with such a wide variety of wine kits available, it is quite simple to get started, and there are many reasons to make your own wine at home. Here are just a few….
1. Making your own wine at home is fun. It’s easy to get started and simple to do – just follow the step-by-step instructions that come with your kit. Whether you are making wine alone or with a partner in crime, there is no better way to spend a relaxing, agenda-free hour or two.
2. Crafting your own wine will save you money. While it is possible to pick up some pretty inexpensive bottles of wine these days, if you compare the wine you make from a kit to a bottle of similar quality commercial wine, it turns out the craft wine is a real bargain. Plus you get the satisfaction of having made something yourself – and that is priceless!
3. Making wine at home is convenient. Don’t you hate it when the liquor store is out of your favorite wine? That never happens to craft winemakers. Sound too good to be true? We assure you, there is a craft wine kit available for almost every grape variety and every wine region in the world. Don’t believe us? See for yourself.
4. Homemade wine makes great gifts. It makes a great hostess gift, a “thanks for being a great teacher” gift, a house-warming present, a “thanks for shoveling the driveway” present…. Don’t know what to get your hard-to-shop-for father in law? A bottle of craft wine will surely win him over.
5. Crafting your own wine will amaze your friends — especially those who don’t make wine themselves. The fact that you make your own wine sounds sophisticated and impressive. And, you’ll feel proud that you picked up a new hobby, learned a new skill, and came out on the other side with something you and your friends can all enjoy together.
6. With your own craft wine, you’ll be prepared for a global crisis. No matter what may come your way, you’ll always have bottles on bottles of wine stockpiled away in your cellar (or basement). Just don’t be surprised when your neighbors come knocking on your door the next time the power’s out.
7. Most importantly, with a cellar full of craft wine, you will have an excuse to throw a party! Everyone will be impressed that you were able to make wine that tastes so good and even better, you will get to enjoy your wine in good company. And isn’t that the reason we craft wine in the first place?
So what are you waiting for? Go get a kit and start that first batch now!!